In the Vicinity of the market
From la Boqueria to the Church of Santa Ana - 9 minutes walk
• Walk from la Boqueria to Placa Catalunya
• Turn right and walk on the right side along the square
• After about twenty meters, you will see a small street called Carrer Rivadeneyra
• The Church of Santa Ana is located at the end of this street (about 50 meters)
If you get tired of the bustling crowd of la Boqueria or even the crowd of the downtown your remedy might be closer than you think. The small Church of Santa Ana is a less known temple in the gothic quarter often overlooked by tourists - despite being next to Placa del Catalunya.
The church might not have the monumental scale of Santa Maria del Mar or Santa Maria del Pi but, in fact, is the oldest church still standing in the city. Originally a covenant from the eleventh century just outside the city walls, today its inviting garden and quiet surrounding makes Church of Santa Ana a great place to catch your breath and clear your mind. Today it even holds English language Catholic masses every Sunday at 8:00 p.m.
Even though the church was bombed in the Spanish Civil War it remained mostly intact. The architecture blending Roman and Gothic styles is an interesting and special sight in the gothic quarter - and it's garden enclosed by the buildings of the former covenant is crowned by a beautiful fountain.
Details about visiting the site:
• Admission: Free
• Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 19 :00 p.m.; in August, from 11:00 a.m. to 14 :00 p.m.
• Brochure in English, Catalan, French and Italian
• Accessible to people with reduced mobility
Why worth visiting:
• Tranquil spot in the heart of Barcelona
• Free admission and no lines
• Barcelona's oldest church
Take a short walk and visit the Church of Santa Ana so that you can dive back into the browsing and tasting at la Boqueria with renewed strength.