From la Boqueria t Palau de la Musica Catalana - 12 minutes walk
• Exiting la Boqueria turn left and walk down on the right side of la Rambla
• Turn right onto Carrer Santa Anna
• Cross Passeig de Gracia and enter Carrer Comtal on your left
• Cross Via La ietana and turn right
• After about 20 m turn left onto Carrer Sant Pere Mes Alt
• Walk about 60 m and Palau de la Musica Catalana will be on your right
Amongst the rather gray buildings of the street Palau de la Musica Catalana jumps out being a rather extravagant sight. As a prominent representative of the modernist Catalan architecture it employs colourful decorations, large ornaments and round shapes. The building is impressive enough from the outside and will make you understand why local architecture is so famous - but the inside is even more impressive.
Being a music hall it of course offers regular concerts - but even if you don't find the time to enjoy the excellent acoustics of the place, or classical music is not really your cup of tea, you can still admire its beauty. Guided tours are available to visit Europe's only concert hall that is illuminated only by natural light during the day. The stained glass shows choirs and other motives connected to music in itself makes it worth your time to visit the interior.
Details about visiting the site:
• Opening Hours: Every day from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; in August frm 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Admission: 17 euros per person (groups larger than 25 people get 20 percent off)
• The tour is in groups up to 55 people - even if you come alone you will be touring with a group
• The tickets sell fast so be sure to book one for yourself
• Tickets to concerts usually range from 20 to 30 Euros but there are concerts where they are under 10 Euros and some where they are are close to 200 Euros
Why worth visiting:
• Impressive architecture
• Beautiful interior
• Concerts with amazing acoustics
You may not be a classical music fan or even adept to architecture, but you will still find the ornate luxurious decoration of this building stunning. Even if you miss the tour you can enter the Foyera - the cafeteria of the building - that gives you not only a taste of good coffee but of the beauty of the interior as well.