From la Boqueria to Parc de la Ciutadella - 17 minute walk
• Exiting la Boqueria turn right and walk on the left side of la Rambla
• Turn left onto Carrer Ferran
• Walk straight through Carrer Ferran, Placa St. Jaume, Carrer Jaume I, Placa de l'Angel and Carrer Princesa
• Parc de la Ciutadella will be right in front of you
In 1714, after the thirteen-month war of succession, the Spanish king built Ciutadella, a huge military complex that became the symbol of oppression in the eyes of Catalans in the next century. The much loathed military complex was razed finally in 1869 and made into the huge 280,000-m2 park, which homes the Barcelona Z oo, the Cascada waterfall, a lake, museums, and numerous other attractions.
It definitely takes more than a short stroll to explore the whole of the park. Visitors have the chance to engage in many activities here—they can rent paddleboats, cycle, or walk. They can admire the beautiful statues and the nature in what was the only green area of the city a century ago. The fountain designed by Josep Fontseré (who was the teacher of Gaudí at that time) is one of the must-see landmarks in the park.
The zoo deserves its own paragraph. Housing more than seven thousand animals and the former home of the world’s only known albino gorilla, Snowflake, it serves as a popular attraction to those interested in animals and nature. Having an impressive reptile house that has a Komodo dragon rarely seen in captivity, aviary, terrarium, and all other staples of a major zoo, it also presents statues (and even a whale skeleton) and organizes educational group tours.
Details about visiting the site:
• Opening hours of the park: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Opening hours of the zoo: All year, the zoo opens at 10:00 a.m. Closing hours from October 27 to March 23 is 5:00 p.m., from March 24 to May 15 is 6:00 p.m., from May 16 to September 15 is 7:00 p.m., from September 16 to October 26 is 6:00 p.m.
• Admission: no admission to the park, the zoo costs 19.60 Euro for adults, 11.80 Euros for children between 3 and 12 years old, 15.20 Euro for groups of over 20 adults and 8.20 Euros for groups of over 20 children
Why worth visiting:
• Barcelona's biggest park is excellent for romantic walks, relaxation and sport activities
• Statues and landscape is a must see
• Zoo with huge variety of animals and plants
• Museums, waterfalls and a lake
The park offers something for everyone - be it young, old, coming alone, in group, or with a loved one. Pleasant, relaxing walks or sports and lust for peace or education are all offered here next to each other.