From la Boqueria to Picasso Museum (12 minutes walk)
• Exiting la Boqueria turn right and walk on the left side of la Rambla
• After about 150 m turn left to Carrer Boqueria
• At the end of the street cross Carrer Banys Nous and enter Carrer Call on your left
• At the end of the street you arrive to Placa Saint Jaume
• Continue on Carrer Jaume I (on the right) and keep straight through Carrer Princesa (continuation of C. Jaume I)
• After about 800 m turn right to Carrer Montcada and continue straight
• The Picasso Museum will be on your right in about 40 m
Barcelona houses one of the most extensive collections of the famous cubist painter. Five former medieval palaces were rebuild to house over 3500 of the artists works and it is the only museum that already opened during Picasso's life.
When Picasso's long time friend, Jaume Sabartés - to whom the artist gifted numerous paintings and drawings throughout their 30 year long friendship - came up with the idea of the museum he intended to create it in Malaga. It was Picasso's suggestion to place the museum in Barcelona due to his lifelong connections to this city.
The museum started out in 1963 with 574 works of the master given from Sabartés's private collection and and some more from the city and museums of Barcelona. Later Picasso himself gave 920 of his works including some from his early youth - and the collection has been regularly expanded through decades.
Details about visiting the site:
• Opening hours: Tuesdays to Sundays 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Admission fee: 11 Euros from the age of 16, free for youth under 16 and people over 65
• Free on every first Sunday of the month
• Groups must be at least of 10 people and admitted only to prior arrangement
• Accessible for people with reduced mobility
Why worth visiting:
• One of the most complete collection of the works of Picasso
• Follow the artist's development from early childhood
• Admire the architecture of the museum buildings some of which date back to the 13th century
• Conferences, seminars and guided tours for different knowledge levels about Picasso
Besides one of the most extensive collection of Picasso's work you can understand his connection to Barcelona and take part in a wide range of activities in this museum. Expand your knowledge about modern art in the city that inspired so many.